I absolutly LOVE winter sessions! The beautiful Wyoming snow brings so much light into your photos! And plus, IT’S SO DANG MAGICAL LOOKING!!! If I’m being honest though, I really hate the cold. Despise it. I do not like when my fingers and toes feel like they might fall off. I’d like to keep all 20 digits thank you very much! But I will sacrifice my comfort every time for those dreamy winter photos!!! So today on the blog I’m sharing my 5 best tips to survive your winter photos!
1. Sneaky Layers- I love this tip! So much so that I use it every time I have a winter session! It’s super simple too! All you need is to slip on leggings, long johns for guys, or pajama pants for kids under your pants! Even if you’re planning a dress, no one will see them! putting on a long sleeve shirt and tank top under your sweater is good too!
2. All The Winter Goodies- Color coordinated coats, hats, vests, gloves, leg warmers, scarves, earmuffs! All of these will bring that cozy winter feel into your pictures while keeping you warm! And even if you do not want wear your coat in the photos, still bring it to put on in between photos!
3. Car Warmup Breaks- Don’t be afraid to ask for a break! I require them, especially with kids. Because the last thing you want is photos where you can tell you’re grimacing from the cold, or that half your face is officially frozen! So don’t be afraid to leave the car running in between sets and ask for a quick break!!!
4. Bring A Blanket- While you won’t use it the entire time, this is a super cute prop for winter pics! And even when it’s not in the photo, whoever is behind the lens can use it until it’s their turn! Bonus tip! Hand warmers hidden in pockets and boots are a total life saver!!!
5. Plan For A Hot Cocoa Date After!- Oh boyyyyyy is this my favorite tip in this whole post! Who doesn’t love hot cocoa this time of year?! OK! OK! For that ONE person in the world who doesn’t, swap the cocoa for tea or coffee! This would be an awesome treat to reward the kids with after for families, and a fun date night for engaged couples!
I hope every one planning winter photos loved this post and feels much more prepared to brave the cold! Just remember, the memories you are preserving… are 1000% worth losing a digit or two… KIDDING! 😉